Two best friends, baking and blogging across the miles

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Baking Challenge # 5: No Bake Baked Apples...and Rum??!



I had braces for over a year and half, and sadly one of the most “dangerous” foods on the no eat list was caramel apples. This was tough, especially since I had my braces through the State Fair, and that’s usually the only time I really get to indulge in my favorite carnival foods, including caramel apples! Sigh…but thankfully this summer I’m brace free, and this no bake recipe is a neat variation of the caramel apple, along with one of my (and Rachel’s….and Captain Jack Sparrow’s) favorite things in the world…Rum!!








These Baked Apples with Rum-Caramel Sauce are a Betty Crocker Recipe and they were very easy to make. The only slight difficulty I had was coring the apples…my mother has this intense apple corer that looks like a weird surgical tool. There must be something simpler out there, but I don’t really bake with apples that often so I don’t know if that would be worth the investment.
The result: magnificent! Tastes just like apple pie! The rum has a nice subtle taste. I only had a little bit of ice cream left, so I used whipped cream, which was okay but the ice cream was way better! Also, kind of difficult to eat because the skin gets tough, so I’d probably get rid of the skin next time. In all, really nice, not too sweet treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment