Two best friends, baking and blogging across the miles

Friday, April 1, 2011

pop Pop POP!

Tarts, that is.
I thought I would try my hand at making a homemade version of a yummy breakfast treat. I had lovely pictures and guidance from Brown Eyed Baker. However, mine did not turn out quite as picturesque. Rather, they had the crumply look of biscuits. However, they tasted fabulous! I made strawberry but now I want to experiment with other flavors, like peach and nutellaa and of course, chocolate peanutbutter banana.
Here's what happened:
First, I couldn't open the new jar of strawberry jam we bought from the Amist store, so I waited for Mike to wake up from his nap and open it for me. Husbands sure are handy. ;)
I combined two tablespoons of flour with 1 tablespoon of water and 3/4 cup of the abovementioned jam in a saucepan. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for two minutes and stired frequently. I then let it cool down.
While the jam mixture was cooling I mixed together 2 cups of flour and 1 tablespoon of sugar. I worked in two sticks of salted butter with knives, until the chunks were pea size. I whisked together an egg and 4 tablespoons of milk, and added it to the bowl. I kneaded the dough togehter and divided it in half.  I rolled out one piece of the dough and cut it into 7 rectangularish shapes, though the recipe called to make 9.
I put them on the pan and spooned filling onto each piece, trying to leave a 1/2 inch on each side. I rollded out the second part of the dough into 7 of the same size/shape pieces and placed them on top, pressing the edges together.
I let the pastries sitt in the fridge for 3 minutes, uncovered, and then cooked them 25-30 minutes at 350F. I then ate one, scalded my tongue and forgot to take a picture of the final result.
But trust me, they were fabulous.
LU--- Your next challenge is to make, and decorate a cupcake that tastes like a cocktail/drink Will you  choose a margarita? pina colada? strawberry daquiri? dr pepper? Can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment